"LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." Psalm 16:5-6


Ours is a story of what God can do with two silly teens, starting off with no clue;

And baby thrown in, just for good measure. We didn’t know that God would increase our treasure

With four added on in rapid succession, filling our lives with joy and hard lessons.


We’ve had our share of valleys and hills, of times of abundance, and unpaid bills.

We once thought success would bring us bliss; we’ve learned that loss does a better job of this,

As we lean on our Savior, Who always delivers, regardless of the size of our quiver.


Although we’re grateful for the times of ease, the hard times are useful for learning to please

Our Heavenly Father, learning to walk in His Truth, of which we often talk.

May the Lord help us humbly and faithfully serve, staying mindful that the next generation observes.


Prop up your feet and grab a cup of coffee or tea while I open up

The book of my life, without further ado, and narrate the musings of my heart to you.


Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Bittersweet Day

Graham caught an anole with his hat while we did our school work on the patio this afternoon.

After sixteen wonderful days, we had to face the inevitable departure of my sweet parents early this morning.
I think that I may have cried about three or four times throughout the day.
I miss them already, and they're only half-way back to Pennsylvania.

Despite our sadness over saying good-bye to Grandma and Pap, the children and I had a marvelous, lazy school day. Our spring break lasted longer than normal, since we don't like to spend the grandparents' visit on a rigid daily schedule.
(We have all year to do that!)
So, we'll be easing slowly back into a routine and taking advantage of the splendor of early spring in these parts.

After a late breakfast, we started our day with Bible reading, followed by a little history lesson on a famous home scholar from the past, as well as some good music:


(Takin' it back to the "old school")





Graham and Gabriela have been studying one of my favorite topics in science:
birds.
It's been a long time since we've gone out to the patio with binoculars, field guides, and nature journals, so today seemed like a perfect opportunity.
All we ended up seeing, though, were a few black vultures.



The dogs enjoyed our time outside.

Gabriela teased Penelope with her pen.

Caelyn came out briefly to shake her bathroom rug.


Rhodes loves a reason to bask lazily in the sun.

Penelope, whom we affectionately call "Menina", occupied part of her time by taunting a beetle.

I was wishing that we had brought our weather field guide out with us. I wasn't able to tell the children, off-hand, which kind of clouds these are.

Between the freeze a year ago, and last summer's drought, we're losing many trees.

I called to check on my parents' progress on the road.

Rhodes was "reppin'" our home team.

After we finished our school work, Graham and I did some online research of how best to rid our yard of a long-time nemesis. Incidentally, we learned yet another reason not to eat Splenda.

The Resident Exterminator
(He kept asking to blow up the ant mounds, but that idea didn't sit well with me.)

Spring means more grilling, so Craig Grayson did a thorough cleaning of our grill this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was a productive day! Great day to be outside!
    Love Acapella, too!

    ReplyDelete