Friday, March 9, 2012

Pap's Craftsmanship


When each of our girls turns 16, my dad makes a hope chest as a birthday gift.
Since two boys come before the next girl, Daddy (aka "Pap") brainstormed ideas for what their milestone gifts should be.

He came up with something very fitting.



Every young man should own a tool chest!



Not only did my dad spend months working on this tool chest, but he and my mom drove 1360 miles, from their house to ours, and personally delivered it!

This was Daddy's first time using a dovetail design to join the sides. I think he did a stellar job.
There's a story behind the wood, too.

Since my childhood, my Uncle Mike (one of my dad's older brothers) has been selling his own recipe of BBQ sauce around the Pittsburgh area.
I didn't know it then, but all of those years, the proceeds went toward his ministry and the dream of one day buying his own church building (he is a pastor).
At my grandfather's funeral a little over a year ago, I got to see the long-awaited fruit of Uncle Mikes diligence & trust in God's timing.

Daddy has done some remodeling jobs around the very old church building, and there was some wood that Uncle Mike thought should be thrown out.
So, Daddy reclaimed the wood and used it to build Craig Grayson's tool chest.

Daddy is amazing. He can do just about anything. I'm so grateful that he and Mom are here for a visit. We have missed our many fun times of fellowship with them.

Just to prove that I'm not vain, I included this photo that shows one of the many awful faces I make when I'm being expressive. What a treat to sit on the sofa with my mom and the girls, chatting and catching up.






No comments:

Post a Comment