Friday, May 11, 2012

Gambling


Selfishly, I'm wanting to post this for Amy's Sew & Tell, rather than waiting until after Mother's Day, but I'm gambling, instead. My mother does read this blog, but I usually have to text, call, AND email her, nagging: "Ma! Did you read it yet??" 

I love a reason to use the embroidery attachment on "Clara", and this mug rug offered a good opportunity. I wasn't sure what to make for my mom. She loves everything and gets giddy whenever I make things for her. It really makes giving her gifts that much more exciting. 

My love of coffee stems from my parents' influence, and Mummie can't even start her day if she hasn't fueled up. She's also a tea drinker. I don't know many folks who drink both coffee and tea. (Does this make her schizophrenic? Just kidding, of course.) So a mug rug seemed appropriate. This is only the second one I've made, and I can see why they're so popular.



I'm still waiting for the Lord to send me someone to rescue me from my utter disdain of the actual quilting process - even of small projects. I haven't finished a real quilt in a decade, and I'm not motivated since I'm not any good at it. 

Piecing, on the other hand, is fun, and I had a blast making this up as I worked on it. I decided to stitch in the ditch after completely messing up my... *cough*... "freehand" squiggly stitch (that obviously started out a zig-zag before I got my squiggle down). Oh well. Mom really does see me through rose-colored glasses, and she knows that this type of detail isn't my forté.

I've been wanting to do something else with a "States" theme, so I chose a twist on the "Road to a Friend's House" quote, and added appliqués of Mom's state and mine. 

Another aspect of quilting that tempts me toward violence in my sewing room is binding. Oh. My. Word. It's by the grace of God that I got this done. This binding is actually my make-up work. I've had it in mind to do a selvage project, after seeing so many cute ideas all over the blogosphere. I've been saving my selvages, and initially that's what I used for the binding. Mistake! I'll spare you the details of the horrible waste, since this story has a happy ending:

I almost have to laugh at this. I mean, we drove all 1360 miles from there to here - as did my parents on their recent visit - so we know that the road IS, in fact, VERY long. But the point is still nice.

On another note, I don't think that my mother-in-law reads this blog at all. If she does, she keeps it to herself; so I'm banking on the likelihood that she won't see this post before her package arrives. When my mom was here, I made her a checkbook cover a la Amy Butler. When deciding what to make for Craig's mom, I thought this might be the perfect thing for her, as well.

My girls laughed at me as I held this up to my new bag after completing it. It matches perfectly! (Good thing I don't need a checkbook cover.)

I've been wanting an excuse to use this fabric. I've had it for a while, and I just love it. I'm not sure why I haven't thought of a use for it before now. I hope that Mom W. will like it!


Sadly, I didn't get these into the mail early enough for the moms to have their packages by Mother's Day. I tried really hard, but I just couldn't make it happen. They're accustomed to my late gifting, though. Last Mother's Day was one of the few times that they had their gifts on the actual day. Of course, we were living there and had a luncheon for them at our house. *sigh* I miss them...


4 comments:

  1. I love the colours and the Denyse Schmidt print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog today (from Sew and Tell). Thanks for taking a gamble and sharing this with us. I think your mug rug is adorable! I'm a long way from "home" as well (I'm in Florida, parents / siblings in New York) so I completely get this mug rug! (I also looked at your first one. Though I have different taste in football teams, I have to admit it was still cute!)

    I'm also married to a wonderful man named Craig. Aren't they the best??

    Happy, Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I'm not the only one who's still getting the hang of the quilting part and the binding part, even after years of patchworking! Great work, lovely gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was such a great thing that I came across your blog, I really love your stories and I'm also learning form you. Thank you.. xoxo :)

    _______________
    Ashley | Olympic 2012 Games | 12bet

    ReplyDelete