"LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." Psalm 16:5-6


Ours is a story of what God can do with two silly teens, starting off with no clue;

And baby thrown in, just for good measure. We didn’t know that God would increase our treasure

With four added on in rapid succession, filling our lives with joy and hard lessons.


We’ve had our share of valleys and hills, of times of abundance, and unpaid bills.

We once thought success would bring us bliss; we’ve learned that loss does a better job of this,

As we lean on our Savior, Who always delivers, regardless of the size of our quiver.


Although we’re grateful for the times of ease, the hard times are useful for learning to please

Our Heavenly Father, learning to walk in His Truth, of which we often talk.

May the Lord help us humbly and faithfully serve, staying mindful that the next generation observes.


Prop up your feet and grab a cup of coffee or tea while I open up

The book of my life, without further ado, and narrate the musings of my heart to you.


Thursday, May 31, 2012

One Thing Leads to Another 2



A few years ago, when we were living in Alabama, I wanted to make some decorative pillows for our sofas. A friend suggested that I peruse the pillow selections at Ross, buy a cheap feather-filled pillow, and recover it with the fabric of my choice. This proved to be good advice, and I ended up getting really great inserts for a better price than if I had purchased actual pillow inserts.

In the meantime, I held on to the "ugly" covers that originally came with the pillows, thinking that I could eventually recycle them somehow.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when Morgan was in dire need of a heating pad and couldn't find ours. It was getting close to bedtime, and I was ready to shut down our operation for the night; however, I couldn't just walk away and leave my poor girl in agony. 

Finding items like a heating pad in our house can seem an impossible task, and I decided that it would be easier to quickly whip up a homemade heating pad than to comb the house for one that was missing. Seriously.

Somewhere in my internet travels, I recall having seen a tutorial for homemade heating pads filled with rice. Again, it would be easier to just go "maverick" with it than to try and remember where I had seen that tutorial. I mean, what's so hard about filling a tube with rice?

Enter the old, "ugly" pillow cover, and voila! There's not much else to tell! Well, not much except that I tried to be lazy and leave the zipper on it... until it was time to microwave it. Back to "Clara" I went, cut out the zipper, and stitched all the sides (leaving a temporary opening, of course, to pour the rice inside before hand-stitching it closed).


It's not the most beautiful item, but it worked just fine for Morgan.



3 comments:

  1. How clever! It may not be the most beautiful item, but it is nicer and more elegant than most heating pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bev! It saved the moment, at least. :-) I'd like to make more of these in cute fabrics, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! We have one we bought a long time ago, but it is made from sock-type material and is now twice its original length. lol

    ReplyDelete