Friday, May 25, 2012

Potty Bag


I love having friends who think more highly of my skills than I do. They challenge me to attempt projects that I would otherwise avoid. Thanks to my young friend, Kelly, though, it has now been determined that a toddler backpack is not so daunting.

Kelly and her husband just had a new baby girl a couple of days ago. In anticipation of her arrival, they recently finished potty-training their soon-to-be two-year-old daughter, Madeline. Being a super-organized mommy, Kelly likes to carry supplies to make Madeline's restroom visits easier on outings, as well as a change of clothing, just in case. She thought that it would be a good idea to have Madeline carry her own bag once the new baby arrives, while Mommy carries the diaper bag.

I bought Rae's pattern (and the license to sell), and found that it's quite user-friendly. This is something that could be made in very little time, but it took me over a week. It's not that it was complicated; but I wanted to work with Kelly to decide on fabrics, monogram style, embroidery color, etc. Her inspiration came from here, which helped me to envision how the backpack should look.


The fabric store didn't have any piping that I liked, so I made my own:




Rae, in her very clear, detailed instructions, suggests either hiding the inside seams with bias tape or adding a lining. I was pretty sure that I didn't want to bother with the bias tape, and my girls kept saying that a lining seemed like the best option. So, a lining it is! I added an inside pocket, too, but I didn't get an acceptable photo. The pocket matches the piping.


I have one more item to complete for Kelly before sending this off to her in the mail next week. I can't wait to see photos of little Madeline carrying her bag. She's such a doll!

Head on over to Amy's Sew & Tell to see what others have been inspired to create this week!



8 comments:

  1. This turned out so cute! I love the piping. Always have wanted to try piping but it looks tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise that if I can do piping, anyone can do it! I just folded a bias strip of fabric over the bland ol' ordinary piping from the store, and attached it with my zipper foot. Have a ball! :-)

      Delete
  2. this is one of my favorite prints of all time! What is that lining fabric? The reds are so perfect! Is it Amy Butler too? You did an amazing job! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! As you know, I hold your compliments very dear. :-) The lining fabric is Amy Butler's Lark Dreamer Souvenir in persimmon red. I regret that I didn't buy yards and yards of it!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is so cute! I cannot wait to see it in person! You are very talented and dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I can't wait to meet Madeline & Catherine in person! I'm so excited for all of you.

      Delete
  4. Dayna, Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I was thrilled that you pinned my button card. You have a beautiful family and I found your blog so inspiring. I was so inspired - I am now your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so adorable! I tried to make piping once, but I used 1/4" rope from my garage. I don't recommend that ;-)

    This bag is so sweet for a little one, but so "grown up," too. I'm sure she'll love using it.

    ReplyDelete