Friday, September 21, 2012

Blue & Green Are So Refreshing!


When Caelyn went to work as a nanny for friends of ours in Alaska in the fall of 2010, she met a lot of really interesting people. One such friend was a newly-wed Army wife who attended the same Bible study as Caelyn. Since then, Katie's husband has left the Army, and the two of them have had several changes, including the birth of their first son!

I was honored when Katie accepted my offer to make a nursing cover for her. I asked if she has any particular color preference, and she mentioned that she likes blue and green. That gave me the perfect excuse to buy this beautiful damask that kept nagging at me on every visit to the fabric store recently.

It's been a while since I've inserted a side pocket in one of these covers. I usually add one to the outside. Either way, it's nice to have a place to stash the nursing pad during a feeding.

My "style consultant", Caelyn, agreed that this butterfly fabric (a favorite of mine, purchased in South Africa) added a perfectly bold contrast for the backing.

Nothing too exciting here. Just a "D" ring that's rather hidden in this photo.

To jazz up the solid blue fabric near the bottom, I added a sheer embroidered ribbon that was given to me years ago by a seamstress friend of my mom's. Sadly, Joy passed away about a decade ago, which makes the sewing items that she shared with me even more dear.

Close-up view of the pocket.
I am so excited about giving this nursing cover to Katie! She and Aaron are so thankful for their little guy! We rejoice with them over the precious gift the Lord has given them.

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord,
    children a reward from him. 
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are sons born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man
    whose quiver is full of them."
Psalm 127:3-5




3 comments:

  1. you are the sweetest friend, Dayna! The cover is so beautiful and stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are the sweetest friend ever! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my cover and use it all the time!!! Thank you so much! I have gotten soo many compliments and little Caleb absolutely loves looking at the butterflies while he is nursing! :) Helps keep him focused on eating and not looking everywhere else! I also drape it over his carseat sometimes just because he loves looking at both designs so much. I didn't even know it had a pocket and now I'm so excited to use it! :) You are an amazing woman and thank you for the reminder from Psalm 127:3-5. Need to post this in every room so that when times get tough I remember the promises of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful and i *almost* want to be able to use it ;) love you guys <3 <3

    ReplyDelete