Saturday, September 1, 2012

Squeezing in a Few


We started school recently after being out of town for a week, so I haven't had much time for blogging. It's a pity, too, because there's plenty to tell -  especially about the dogs, but also about life in general, house guests, and what we've been doing with waffles.

I have quite a sewing task list, and I can't wait to get to it! Most of it is pretty easy stuff that just requires staying in my sewing room long enough to make it happen. Before digging into what is really necessary, I felt that I needed to get myself geared up to start checking off my list. 
(Remember the "Round, round, ready, write!" warm-up from elementary cursive class? It's sort of like that.)

Pictured above is a little gift set I threw together for my dear cousin in Pennsylvania. She recently spent her 60th birthday in the hospital after having a second brain tumor surgery. This little gift seems rather lame in light of that, but she liked it, and I loved making something for her. 
(She's one of those hard-to-buy-for people. You know, the ones who have everything already.)

I actually forgot to take photos of her gifts before mailing them, so she sent me a photo from her phone. Anyway, the long rectangular solid is a rice-filled heating pad. I bought that adorable Paris fabric at Hobby Lobby a couple of months ago, and my mom mentioned that Dee would love to have something made with it. She took a trip to Paris last year, and recently she bought a French Bull Dog and named her Paris.

I couldn't resist using the black Eiffel Tower fabric for a coordinating lavender-scented eye mask. It's a small gift, but I assure you that it was made with love, fervent prayer, and a longing to be by Dee's side through this harrowing time.

On a much, much lighter note, while doing some necessary cleaning/organizing, I unearthed a coffee stamp that I've had for a number of years. I have a vague memory of making either invitations or place cards for an Army wives' get-together (which we called a "coffee") at our house in Ft. Benning, GA, back in 2001. It hasn't been used since then.

As soon as I looked at that stamp, I knew what I wanted to do. 

I had some leftover burlap from our favorite coffee shop in Maputo, Moçambique. All that was needed was a fabric ink pad.
 I've wanted to make a mug rug for my friend, Terri, but these burlap coffee-stamped coasters seemed more fitting for her style.
I love them, and so does she!


Once I had finished the burlap set for Terri, I just had to keep going. I wanted to try a different fabric and make a set without frayed edges. The fabric below is leftover from Craig's Africa wallhanging.


The backing is leftover from a messenger bag.


All of this coaster-making is becoming addictive and has my creative juices flowing. Inspired by a travel cup I bought recently at the science center - and being a nerdy homeschool mom - I dusted off my hand embroidery supplies and transferred the molecular structure of caffeine onto some squares for another set:

I think this is my favorite set.

I'm posting this in hopes that Amy will do a Sew & Tell this weekend for August. If not, that's OK. At least I will have mustered up a blog post! I have a lot of catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment