Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spring Fever


By the time our school supplies arrived here in August, we were stir crazy and ready to get started on our new curriculum. By now, we are all ready to be finished. Although we're transitioning into winter in this hemisphere, my body knows that it's really being drawn by what used to summon me to the herb garden or the hammock. I have a bad case of Spring Fever.

The children, too, are ready for their time to be their own for a little while. Motivated by visions of carefree days, they have resolved to double up on their work. Looming over a couple of heads, however, is the burden of unfinished research papers, due so long ago that I've lost track of how late they are. I'm torn between two desires: timely work and excellent work. I'm hoping for the latter since it's too late for the former.

We abandoned our rigid schedule weeks ago. These days, we relax and pace ourselves to allow for lunch out with Dad, shopping, visits, or any other special event that might tempt us away from our routine. That's the great thing about a routine -- we're free to abandon it when necessary, and it's there when we want to return to it.



This has been a very special school year. We've learned so much more than could possibly be included in a box of books and supplies. Perhaps I'll blog about the details in the future. There's much to tell about our time here in Moçambique, and I don't know where to begin.

I allowed the children to choose their own curriculum this year, so that they'd be sure to enjoy what they're using and know what to expect. I felt that this would be important for a couple of reasons. First, it's Caelyn's last year, and I wanted her to feel good about what she was studying. Also, with so much transition and a whole new culture, it has helped them to have more control over what they're doing.

Most of my time has been spent with Graham and Gabriela. The two of them have matured so much as students. I'm pleased with their progress and enthusiasm over their work. We've had a few set-backs, over all, with technology, since everything is slower and less convenient in Moz. Even with that, Gabriela managed to finish her math mid-year, and she moved on to Graham's level. The two of them have done quite a bit of writing this year -- par for the course with Sonlight -- and I've been most impressed with their poetry.

Caelyn, Morgan, and Craig Grayson have done much of their work together, with the exception of Caelyn's British Literature (which Morgan will have next year). The three of them, also, have had a lot of writing to do. They've done their math and science using a CD-Rom, which has been very convenient. Several things have yet to be completed, but I think that these last few weeks will be rewarding and productive ones.

I've already begun considering what we'll use next year. It's strange to imagine only having four of the children homeschooling, and only one who will still be at the elementary level. The years have gone by so quickly. I'm confident that Graham is ready to join Craig Grayson, leaving me to concentrate more on preparing Gabriela for the middle school years. Morgan is self-motivated and only has a few credits yet to complete. She enjoys a great deal of autonomy. All that is required of me, really, is a little guidance concerning materials for next year.

What a privilege it is to spend my days with these children. The time is precious and fleeting. May the Lord continue to give us wisdom as we aim these arrows toward His will and purpose for their lives!

2 comments:

  1. I just received Ronnie's 3rd grade spelling in the mail a few minutes ago...I love planning our year, and for me, next year will be bittersweet...an interesting mix of 1st & 3rd grade, a very self-motivated junior in highschool...and Meghan graduating. She doesn't need any credits, and only NEEDS to do English lit for next year...although I have a number of things I want the two older girls and I do together. We're going to the CHEO conference in June (2nd largest homeschooling conference in the East) and the keynote speaker is Dr. Voddie Baucham...the girls and I can't wait attend his talks. (found out Jasmine will not be attending, the girls are disappointed) It is June 24-26...I so wish you could be there with us! Maybe next year....miss you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am SO jealous! SO, SO, SO jealous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete