Friday, June 11, 2010

One Is Better Than None


This is a sad season of good-byes here in Moz. Many friends are parting ways. I love moving around and meeting new people, but this is the hard part of it all. Beth has been a wonderful hostess every Tuesday morning as a very small number of us have met weekly for prayer and accountability. These ladies have made the difference for me here, helping me to adjust to the culture shock. We laugh, cry, and talk about family and life.

As a parting gift, Beth requested one of my aprons. Her only requests were either black-and-white or brown-and-white fabric, with a contrast, and she mentioned that she would prefer my Eiffel tower print. Having only scraps left of that, I drove to the store here in Maputo to get more of the butterfly print and used the Eiffel tower for the pocket. I chose lavender for the contrast because I've found it to be a refreshing new twist on a favorite. I chose one of my lovely models for the photo:

Caelyn

Beth seemed very pleased with her apron when we delivered it yesterday. I'm disappointed that I won't get to see her wearing it, unless she takes photos. I will miss our Tuesday morning talks, coffee, sesame-coated pretzels from Woolworth's, the sounds of her sweet daughter, Saba, playing in the background with the nanny, getting fresh mangoes from her yard... It has been a blessing knowing her.

This is my only finished project for this week. Shame on me! Today is Gabriela's eleventh birthday, and I had really hoped to make something for her. Instead, I've been running errands and baking bread this week. Before I close, I must share this fabric with you that I found on my trip to the store for the butterfly print:



I couldn't resist. This cracks me up! I'd like to use it either for pajama bottoms, or perhaps for the lining of a bag.


I'm off to Amy's Sew & Tell to see what the others have accomplished this week. What a fun weekly tradition! You may want to hurry and see what Amy's guest blogger, Nicole, has in store for her giveaway!

12 comments:

  1. that is super cute fabric. great finish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I am needing to make an apron soon! I have in laws coming in two weeks and I'd like to have one made for the MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a gorgeous apron, and I'm sure she'll think of you every time she wears it! The "correctional" fabric is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! The black and white prints are so nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely apron. No doubt your friend is quite pleased. :-) Had a laugh about the correctional fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great apron in black and white fabric. How silly is that other fabric!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful finish, I'm sure you and Beth will keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the apron, and I would be careful wearing that Correctional fabric outside of the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday to Gabbyrella (as Libby would say). We always think of her on Julia's birthday!! I just bought Rina an apron from Anthropology for her birthday but I must say yours is as pretty or prettier than the store one. Great job!! I miss sewing with you. I miss laughing with you. I miss running with you. I miss eating trail mix with you. I miss drinking coffee with you... I miss you -

    ReplyDelete
  10. The apron is gorgeous! I love your blog and look forward to skimming the entries and reading new ones. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing!...Larri :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You apron looks great! I love the fabrics together!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete