Sunday, January 30, 2011

What's in a Name?


Morgan

"Lives by the Sea"

I've read a lot lately about the meaning of names. Many people take very seriously the process of choosing a name for each child, as we all should, I suppose. When Craig and I were younger and just having our babies, we didn't name them according to what we thought their names would make them become. We trusted that the Lord has a plan for each of them (Ephesians 2:10; Jeremiah 29:11), and as long as we didn't name them something like "Jezebel" or "Adolph", it was acceptable for us to choose their names based on other criteria. 

Throughout our years of parenting, we've taught our children the importance of having a "good name":

"Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
   bind them around your neck,
   write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name
   in the sight of God and man.
 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
   and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
   and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:3-6

"A good name is more desirable than great riches;
   to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."
Proverbs 22:1




Growing up, I watched day and evening soap operas (not something that makes me proud, but this is in my past). Two of my favorite actresses were Morgan Fairchild and Morgan Brittany. I determined in my youth to one day have a daughter named Morgan.

In my extended family, there are several male Morgans, including my late Grandpap, who recently passed away at the age of 96. Although Morgan is a name I chose because I find it elegant for a female, Grandpap used to affectionately refer to our Morgan as his "namesake" -- despite having a son, and grandson named after him already, and more recently a great-grandson!




We had a marvelous time celebrating Morgan's life yesterday! 
Her birth was unique in a few ways:

~She was the one baby whom we attempted to "plan" (although we know that it is the Lord Who does the planning -- cf Psalm 139)

~She's the only one of our children born in California

~I noticed signs of fetal distress in the final week of my pregnancy

~Craig took me to Ocean View Drive in Monterey for a walk in hopes of inducing labor

~She was born with the cord wrapped three times around her neck

~Hers was the first of three births after which I experienced hemorrhaging (Praise God for knowledgeable & fast-acting hospital staff!)



As a very small child, Morgan wowed us with her expressions, like:

~"Mommy, why do you have sad water in your eyes?" (when she saw me crying)

~"Daddy, you know what? Noses eat boogers!"



Today, we treasure the wisdom God has given her, and the love she shows to our family. What a gift God has given us in Morgan.


Our prayer is that our children will live lives worthy of the calling they've received in Christ. The Word of God speaks of gaining wisdom and respect through a life lived to glorify God. This is what is meant by a good name. This is what we desire for our family.


"As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
Ephesians 4:1-3

"We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience,"
Colossians 1:9b-11

No comments:

Post a Comment