Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blessed Day


One of the perks of homeschooling is that we have the option of taking our work outside whenever the beautiful weather calls to us.
We've had intermittent storms rolling through here lately, as has much of the country; but in calm moments, the sun has shone gloriously.

When we lived in Alabama, we would often do our school work on the back patio or in the yard. I'd sit on the hammock with my binoculars, nature journal, and bird & insect guides, and the children would surround me with their school books.
I'd read aloud to them from my perch, taking frequent breaks to photograph or observe a particular bird or butterfly.
Each day, one or another of the children would take a turn sitting on the hammock with me, while the others sat on a blanket or at the patio table.

Sweet memories.

Yesterday and today, we've taken advantage of some choice moments to spend on the patio with our school books.
Rhodes has been pleased to join us.
He even afforded us an occasion to meet a neighbor yesterday.

Jill was very calm as Rhodes, ignoring the warnings from the shock collar, rushed to meet her little dog in the street.
It was a pleasant encounter, and no animals were hurt in the process.

Speaking of Rhodes, he has a new friend, sort of. This little guy recently moved next door to us from Slovakia:

Apparently, he's a mixture of Schnauzer and Vizsla. I don't know his name, but he greets me through his new fence when I park in the driveway.



It's been wonderful to see the leaves taking shape little by little.





A special bonus yesterday was having my parents pay us a spontaneous visit. This is a privilege we'll certainly miss when we make our move to Houston. 



Dad and I have an agreement that whenever he visits, he automatically wants coffee.
I'm happy to oblige.


No comments:

Post a Comment