Thursday, September 8, 2011

Attention!



A few days ago I learned an important lesson during school.

I was reading part of our grammar lesson from this book, and I realized that rather than paying attention to what I was relaying to them from the book, my children were working on the "homework" portion of their grammar lesson from another book.

In that moment, I saw the fruit of a strength-gone-bad. 
I tend to be task-oriented, and I like to multi-task when circumstances allow. I must confess that there are many times when my children have something to share with me, and I pretend to be listening intently while working one something else.
The truth is that I'm usually missing a large portion of what's being said, and being the smart people they are, they know it!

So, rather than getting upset with them for seeing a greater need to multi-task than to listen intently, I simply had each of them re-read (aloud, standing next to their chairs) a portion of what they had missed.

This was an important reminder for me that it's a good idea to stop what I'm doing and give my full attention to the speaker - even my grand storyteller, and even if my current task is "necessary".

They're watching. They're aaallwaays watching.


2 comments:

  1. Very well stated Dayna. Thanks for sharing this wonderful, humble reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are! How good to see it for what it was and not take it personally thereby responding with the negative emotion!
    The best model is one who is humble and teachable! Thanks! It's a great reminder to me.

    ReplyDelete