Friday, September 9, 2011

Kitchen Memories



I recently posted photos on Facebook of our Family Movie Night with the cousins, and I included photos of Craig's homemade caramel popcorn.



Naturally, there were a couple of requests for the recipe. As I rummaged through my trusty recipe basket - a vestige of the bygone era of Longaberger in my life - I was warmed by the memories of friends and family represented by some of the cards in the file.

Such as:

Frozen Strawberry Dessert
from Denise
Caelyn, as a toddler, used to terrorize her cat. Denise is also the source of the caramel popcorn recipe.

Cheesy Apples
from Michele
She was my Longaberger consultant in Pennsylvania.
(Confession: I've never actually made this recipe, but the memory of knowing Michele is a pleasant one.)

"Older Than Dirt" Sandwiches
from Gena
These made many a happy tummy as we spent lazy days at her family's lake house.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Renate, my spiritual mother
These are no ordinary cookies, & the recipe is huge! I have many fond memories of spending timing "sitting at the feet of" Renate in California, & gleaning her wisdom.

Sweet Potato Casserole Topping
from Cornelia
Affectionately known to us as "Sugar", Cornelia has been one who encourages me to diligently study the Word of God.

Granola Oatmeal Bars
from Jenan
Several of us ladies were privileged to visit Jenan's kitchen in Alabama and learn about Lebanese cuisine.

Pumpkin Cake Roll
Countless memories flood my mind when I think of my wonderful grandmother who passed away in May '10. How thankful I am to have this family favorite in her very own handwriting!

Pap's Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Daddy
I'm pretty sure that this is worth money!

Crab & Cheddar Clam Chowder
from Erica
Erica was our neighbor in California. We only knew each other briefly, but she was very kind to share her family's recipe for clam chowder. It's definitely a favorite.

I've enjoyed reflecting on kitchen memories. It's such a blessing to share food & fellowship with special people.
I'll leave you with a recipe:

Lemon Velvet
from Mom
(This gets annihilated every time!)

Layer 1:

1/2 C chopped walnuts (I use pecans)
1 stick butter (Mom's recipe reads "oleo" - which certainly dates it. I don't touch the stuff.)
1 C flour
Blend & press into a 13x9-inch pan. Bake @ 350˚ for 15 minutes. Cool completely.

Layer 2:

1 C Cool Whip
1 C powdered sugar
16 oz. cream cheese
Blend & spread over 1st (cooled!) layer.

Layer 3:

2 pkgs. instant lemon pudding
3 C milk
Blend & spread over 2nd layer

Layer 4:

Cool Whip
Optional: sprinkle with chopped nuts. I don't.

Enjoy! 
Then run a few miles.

*Many thanks to Cristie, who pointed out that I had originally typed "1/2 stick chopped walnuts"! Duh! It's 1/2 C.

No comments:

Post a Comment