Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Apron Happiness

It's been a while since I've had Morgan model for me. Isn't she just cute??

I posted about this fabric (purchased here) a while back, and mentioned that I hoped to make an apron out of it.

I've wanted a new apron for months.
Thanksgiving offered the perfect excuse to drop everything and get started on it this week, but I wanted something that will go beyond one day.

I can't imagine ever getting sick of this one. The fabric just makes me happy every time I look at it.

I added a towel loop to the waistband and made a decorative tea towel to match. When I cook or bake, I wash my hands countless times during the process. Since the children are normally right there working with me in the kitchen, the hand towels can get scattered. This way, I'll have one right at my fingertips and won't have to share.

I prefer a D-ring over using ties for my aprons. It's actually easier, as I don't have to hem long edges of an extra tie. Isn't that yellow fabric wonderful? It makes me want to duplicate it on a wall (a shade or two lighter). I won't, though...

Last year, I won a giveaway that Liesl was offering,  and included in the goodie box were four different designs of this gorgeous embroidered ribbon. When I started laying out the fabrics for this apron, I just knew that the ribbon would be a perfect embellishment. I certainly don't regret adding a band of it here. 

This is where the idea for this apron began. Not only do we fight over hand towels in our kitchen, but there seems to be a little elf that steals the hot pads just before one of us needs one. The idea of attaching hot pads to the apron is ingenious! 

See?!



4 comments:

  1. Oh Dayna, I love this apron. You have such an eye for colors and coordinating prints. I don't think I ever would have realized how nicely those fabrics go together. Can you tell us about the label seen on the apron top? Do you make those yourself? And the hot pad idea is terrific. I assume they're put in like the "pleated apron w/built-in hotpads" link in your "Make something new" list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling model and apron. I have a little of that bottom fabric and would not have thought of adding gray and yellow to the aqua. Now I need to search my stash and start coordinating!
    Enjoy your creative apron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kim! The labels are Penny's idea, & her tutorial is found here: http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewtakeahike/2008/08/label-tutorial.html. You're right about the origin of the hot pads and pleats. Destri's tutorial was a great place to start; then I made a few changes and added all of the other components.

    Hi, Bev! The aqua print just jumped right out at me after I had picked up the gray & yellow; then it was my mission to find something to tie them together. I used my seam ripper more on this apron than on most of my recent projects, but it was never frustrating. I enjoyed every minute of putting these fabrics together until reaching a finished product that I can love!

    Thank you, Ladies, for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great apron! The towel loop and hot pads are brilliant. Really nice work! I can tell that apron's going to be a favorite!

    ReplyDelete